FACULTY OF ARCHITECTURE, SILESIAN UNIVERSITY OF TECHNOLOGY - main organizer

The Faculty of Architecture is the main institution educating architects and urbanists in the region of Upper Silesia and one of the best-established schools of architecture in Poland. The Faculty of Architecture of the Silesian University of Technology (Wydział Architektury Politechniki Śląskiej) is proud to be continuation of the pre-war Faculty of Architecture of the Lviv Polytechnic (Politechnika Lwowska), one of the oldest and most distinguished scientific and technical academic institutions in pre-WWII Poland and Central Europe. The Silesian University of Technology, then known as the Silesian Polytechnic, has offered architecture programmes nearly since its establishment in 1945 (whereupon it was known as Silesian Polytechnic), initially (starting in 1949) within the Architecture Division of the Faculty of Engineering and Construction, then within the Faculty of Construction and Architecture, and finally, since 1997, within the autonomous Faculty of Architecture.

The Faculty of Architecture has been widely known for its role in fostering the Silesian School of Architecture recognized for its rational and functional approach, rooted in the rich tradition of the industrial and largely urban Silesian region. The “School” is currently one of the most influential and inspiring circles of architects in Poland. Since 1996, the Faculty has also been a centre of qualitative research in architecture, establishing the highly-reputed Silesian School of Qualitative Research. The Faculty is recognized as one of the top schools of architecture in yearly national university rankings, both in terms of academic research and practical education.